Dowdens Pumping and Water Treatment have successfully designed, supplied, installed and commissioned some innovative pumping systems and washdown areas to cater for a 1 in 100 year rain event (which floods Vale's underground mining operations and discharges off site)
potentially affecting Carborough Downs Mine's new surface sump and catchment pits.
Our pumping systems were designed around the regions historic rain fall events, onsite water quality, and the critical transfer of fluid from sump to sump during these extreme rainfall events.
Dowdens utilised the existing infrastructure, and installed proven products to suit the mines application. 8 catchment sumps had been constructed at Vale Australia's Carborough Downs Mine (located 15km East of Moranbah).
Project's Supply Scope:
- EIM BD Series sump pumps & Grindex sump pumps with flow rates ranging from 49L/sec down to 9L/sec
- Pumps were selected based on pump construction, ideal selection for duty points, and reliability based on performance history in abrasive mining applications (pumping coal fines, and dirty water)
- Piping systems and valve assemblies to suit Flygt pumps free issued from client with flow rates of 90L/sec and 75L/sec
- Wilden T20 air operated diaphragm pump for portal sump pump (operated off an air operated level switch) - as sump size is small the air pump was supplied to empty sump during smaller rain events
- Mine spec hosing for the pump discharge to valve assemblies
- Manual isolation valve and non-return valve assemblies for each sump
- Victaulic pipework & HDPE poly pipe fitted from valve assembly to discharge point
- Onsite supply, install and final commissioning
- Flygt HS series sump pumps for Portal Sump and Drift transfer sump
- All Electrical Controls
"...three months after Dowdens Pumping and Water Treatment completed the project, the site experienced a 1 in 100 year rain event and all pumping systems operated effectively - this minimized the downtime to our mining operations!"