Jellinbah Mining Sewage Treatment System
After a successful tender process Dowdens Pumping & Water Treatment was engaged to design, construct and commission a new automated Sewage Treatment Plant for Jellinbah Mining at Jellinbah Village near Bluff in the Central Queensland coalfields.
The existing sewage treatment plant was failing and producing a non-compliant effluent that could not be irrigated on-site and as a result, the new sewage treatment plant had a requirement to produce an effluent that was Class A with nutrient removal.
Along with the very tight effluent discharge limits, the proposed sewage treatment plant was to be located in a know flood area.
The Dowdens EPC ( Engineering, Construction and Procurement) team designed a modular containerised sewage treatment plant with all major process equipment installed within a 40-foot container including; process tanks, membrane bioreactor, pressure pumps, dosing pumps, electrical and electronic control systems.
The container included safety handrails to allow easy access for maintenance purposes to sewage treatment equipment and components located on top of the container. Included in the design was external monitoring and control of all plant operations via a mobile-friendly web-based interface on a NextG network. The new sewage treatment system was designed to treat 40,000L of sewage influent to a Class A effluent that was suitable for the site discharge license requirements.
The solution included design and construction of all groundworks, concrete footings etc to house the sewage treatment plant systems including the 40-foot container, various holding tanks, transfer pumps, inlet screening systems and associated equipment.
- 40-foot containerised Membrane Bioreactor
- 2 x 28kl Poly Industrial UV Stabilised tanks
- Roto Balance Transfer Pumps
- Anoxic overhead mixer with stainless steel wetted parts
- RAS and recycle submersible vortex pump with mag-flow meter
- 2 x Aeration/membrane air-sour blowers
- Fine bubble diffusers
- German-made Bio-Cel membranes
- Positive displacement, reversible flow VFD controlled permeate pumps
- Siemens mag-flow meters for instantaneous and totaliser flow readings
- 5 x Grundfos chemical dosing pumps for chlorine and citric acid, caustic soda, sucrose, PAC anoxic pH adjustment system.
- 4 x 110L chemical drums (chlorine, caustic coda, sucrose and PAC) with side measurements
- Effluent chlorine dosing system
Project Design Philosophy
The design was been based on the following criteria:
- Cost Effectiveness
- Simple Operation
- Reliability and Low Maintenance
- Ease of Installation
- Low Energy Consumption
- Water Quality