Kingscliff Holiday Park Sewage Pumping Station
Harding’s Earthmoving submitted a successful tender to Tweed Shire Council for the decommissioning and redevelopment of the Kingscliff North Holiday Park, which included installing a new Sewage Pump Station (on behalf of Tweed Coast Holiday Parks).
This standalone Sewage Pump Station was to completely replace the Holiday Park’s aging and outdated sewage system.
Harding’s Earthmoving subsequently engaged Dowdens Pumping & Water Treatment Brisbane branch to design, supply, install and commission a specialised Precast Concrete Sewage Pump Station for use in the Holiday Park’s redevelopment.
Crucial tender selection criteria stipulated by Tweed Shire Council was for the new complete Sewage Pump Station to be successfully operating for at least 50 years and the concrete chamber to provide a minimum working life of 100 years.
The patented Precast Concrete Sewage Pump Stations are cast using a special S50 cement with a minimum concrete strength of 50MPa and utilise an Angaston Marble calcareous aggregate, offering the highest possible resistance to sulphate attack endemic in Australian sewers.
The Precast Concrete Sewage Pump Stations (PCSPS) are specifically designed to withstand harsh environments, including poor soil conditions and high water tables (engineered to 15m depth). The Precast Concrete Sewage Pump Station chambers feature steel reinforcing with an inner concrete cover of 65mm to provide additional protection; this unique feature extends their design life to over 100 years – perfectly suiting Tweed Shire Council’s tender selection criteria.
Once selected by Tweed Shire Council, the Precast Concrete Sewage Pump Station was designed, sourced, installed (all onsite earthmoving works undertaken by Harding’s Earthmoving), commissioned and the entire project managed by Dowdens Pumping & Water Treatment’s Brisbane branch.
During the initial project investigation, the Tweed Shire Council reviewed multiple options for their sewage pump station system, including; prefabricated fibreglass, mould formed precast concrete, and concrete pours in situ construction. Some of the Dowdens PCSPS key advantages/features that met or exceeded Tweed Shire Council’s selection criteria include:
- Competitive pricing and service capabilities
- Lifting points designed into the TOP section of each component of the PCSPS simplifies the installation process and provides a safer work environment.
- PCSPS chambers utilise four large support columns running down the entire vertical length of the chamber, providing incredible compression strength and additional protection when Installing in unstable sand found in most coastal environments
- The modular design provided a swift and safe installation process whilst working in an unpredictable sandy environment.
- The system exceeded the emergency storage requirements, drastically reducing the risk of spillage during power outages and routine maintenance.
- One-piece manufactured base chamber incorporates 56-degree sludge batter eliminating solid build upon the chamber floor.
- Integrated Valve Chamber attached to the wet well-eliminating differential settlement issues and provides a smaller environmental footprint.
- PCSPS chambers arrive at the site ready to be installed.
The PCSPS Selection software enabled our design team to match the correct system layout to the specific site specifications. PCSPS selection guide allows registered members to generate an integrated design solution to select an appropriate chamber, pumps and mechanical components for a broad range of applications.
The integrated design solution includes: GA Drawings of the chamber along with a “CAD Kit” providing all CAD elements enabling rapid transformation of the GA drawing into a complete production drawing; Full component listing, including mechanical specification for your customised fit-out; System curve, total system duty, pump recommendations and a budgetary quote is available on request.
Key Components & Features
- The PCSPS was installed with x2 Grundfos Submersible Grinder Pumps in a duty-standby arrangement.
- Dowdens provided an engineered mounting frame into the one-piece concrete cover slab to stand an 8m vent pipe incorporating a carbon filter and rotary ventilator for onsite odour control.
- Stainless Steel Knife Gate Valve on the 150mm inlet complete with an HDPE drop pipe
- Disconnection couplings in the discharge pipework for any service work
- Customised free-standing Stainless Steel Control Panel which incorporates all the operation and alarm features as per Tweed Shire Council’s project specifications
- Aluminium hinged lockable access covers with safety grates
- Dowdens Brisbane provided site supervision during installation along with comprehensive pre-install system training and manuals
- Quality audits and Operation / Maintenance manuals
- Project management services from scoping to handover
- Hardings Earthmoving assisted Dowdens with the onsite installation providing excavation, shoring, crane hire, test water, backfill, mains power supply and a safe construction environment.
Project Design Philosophy
Dowdens Pumping & Water Treatment’s design philosophy for this project was:
- Current Best Practice
- Ease of Installation
- Simple & Effective Pumping Operation
- System Reliability
- Reduced Ongoing Maintenance Requirements
“During the lead build time (which was one week ahead of schedule), Dowdens were in constant contact. Tweed Shire Council made a few changes along the way, which were accommodated and organised promptly and precisely every time by Dowdens. The coordination and regular contact I received was second to none. The team at Dowdens were not just salesmen; they knew not only how to troubleshoot but also how to resolve any last-minute changes whilst always chasing me up with courtesy! I was more than impressed with the product, price, amazing service and installation provided by Dowdens Pumping & Water Treatment. I have been in this game for 25yrs and cannot recall getting more professional service in any other field or from any other business than what I received on this project, a rarity. Thanks, Dowdens!”
Owner – Harding’s Earthmoving