QLD Coal Mine Pump Servicing
Wesfarmers Curragh Coal Mine is an open-cut coal mine that provides metallurgical coal for export markets and supplies steaming coal to the Queensland Government’s Stanwell Corporation under a long-term contract. Stanwell operates two major electricity generation assets, the Stanwell Power Station located in Central Queensland and the Tarong Power Station, located in South Burnett, Southern Queensland.
Wesfarmers Curragh Coal Mine a significant Australian producer of metallurgical coal has a well-established and geographically diverse customer portfolio with a number of long-standing relationships with world-leading steel-makers.
Wesfarmers Resources engaged Dowdens Pumping & Water Treatment’s Industrial Workshop Mackay branch to deliver fast-turnaround servicing to a large selection of DAVEY Water Products Vertical Multistage In-Line Pumps that are used onsite at their Curragh Coal Mine, located 30 km north of Blackwater in Central Queensland.
These DAVEY Vertical Multistage In-Line Pumps play a crucial role in the operation of the mine as they are used in various dewatering applications and also to boost the supply of water to all of the Curragh Coal Mine’s various processing areas including the vitally important Coal Handling & Preparation Plant (CHPP).
This servicing project presented a number of challenges for the Dowdens Mackay Industrial Workshop, none more important than the tight timelines in which these repairs needed to be completed.
Like with any pump that arrives at Dowdens Pumping Mackay’s Industrial or Domestic Workshop, these Davey VM Vertical Multistage In-Line Pumps were serviced using Dowdens established workshop repair procedures. It was these established procedures and highly regarded workmanship that prompted Wesfarmers Resources to award Dowdens this important servicing contract.
Wesfarmers is supremely confident in having their pumps serviced by Dowdens Pumping, because after many years of working together they know Dowdens always aim to provide the sale/service of suitable pumps that maximise service life and minimise power usage and downtime. Improving levels of equipment utilisation whilst reducing planned / unplanned maintenance downtime increases the overall productivity of a coal mine.
- Set up pump on workbench & perform a suite of electrical tests on motor
- Remove the motor from the pump wet end
- Once separated, run the pump motor independently of the pump wet end to establish & gauge motors efficiency
- Submit detailed quote to the customer clearly illustrating what is required to repair motor/pump
- Once the quote has been accepted immediately begin to repair motor/pump components
- Dismantle motor and replace worn bearings
- Dismantle wet end of pump — clean, strip & asses all components
- Repair and reassemble both motor and pump wet end
- Connect the unit to the Dowdens ‘Pump Test Bench’ & check all pump curves/electrical operation is 100%
- Undertake final inspection before preparing pump for transportation back to Curragh Coal Mine