Supply Underground Dewatering Pods and Mains Road Pump Station
Dowdens Pumping and Water Treatment supplied 13 underground skid-mounted dewatering pods and a mains road pump station (‘Fish Tanks’) for Ausenco’s Kestrel Coal Mine Expansion, located 50km northeast of Emerald, Queensland.
The Kestrel Coal Mine produces coking and thermal coal, and the expansion has extended the life of the mine by 20 years. Portable ‘Fish Tanks’ are used in underground mines as a part of the water management process.
The Kestrel Coal Mine Expansion required Portable ‘Fish Tanks’ which are used for dewatering as part of the mine site’s water management process.
Dowdens Pumping and Water Treatment designed, manufactured and supplied relocatable (skid-mounted) ‘Fish tank’ pump stations.
Each ‘Fish tank’ pump station is comprised of a Hopper (a sump on a skid), a horizontal centrifugal pump coupled to an explosion-proof motor, and a hopper level control switches hardwired to an on-board, explosion-proof Motor Control Cubicle / Starter, and Flowmeter. All of these increase the efficiency of the product.
Key Components & Features
- 10,000L and 14,000L tank capacity
- Modular, bolt-together design can withstand the rigours of underground use
- Fitted with channel guard rails to protect essential components from collision damage
- Corrosion protection is achieved through painting with high build epoxy
- ‘Fish Tanks’ are supplied with a Flameproof control panel
- The pump motor used is a WEG flameproof 1000 VAC
- Nominal Duty Point: 50L / second
- Design lifespan of 20 years
- Forklift tyne pockets for easy maneuverability
- Quick Detach System (QDS) attachment
- Tow points
- Chain lifting points
- Maximum equipment height of 2.4m
- All aspects of ‘Fish Tanks’ suitable for use, and have certified explosion protection as required for operation in Queensland coal mines.
Project Design Philosophy
Dowdens Pumping & Water Treatment’s Rockhampton branches design philosophy for this project was:
- Ease of Installation
- Simple & Effective Pump Operation
- Engine Longevity
- System Reliability & Reduced Ongoing Maintenance